Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Use filo pastry to make a sweet and hearty dessert with this recipe for Apple Strudel, from ‘The Joys of Vegan Baking’
Makes: 8 servings
For the filling and pastry
- 5 apples, peeled and sliced
- ½ cup (100 g) granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup (35 g) golden raisins
- ¼ cup (27 g) slivered almonds, toasted (optional)
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) all-purpose flour
- Juice from 1 small lemon
- 6 to 8 sheets phyllo pastry
- ¼ cup (55 g) non-hydrogenated, non-dairy butter, melted
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons (25 g) granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon (8 g) cinnamon
- ½ cup (65 g) ground almonds, toasted (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 400°F (200°C, or gas mark 6). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To make the filling, in a bowl, mix together the apples, sugar, cinnamon, raisins, almonds (if using), flour, and lemon juice, stirring thoroughly to combine.
- Place 1 sheet of filo on a clean work surface. (It should be placed so you are looking at it vertically.) Keep the remaining filo sheets covered with a damp cloth. Brush the entire filo sheet with some melted butter. Lay down another filo sheet directly on top of the buttered sheet and brush again with some melted butter. Repeat until you use all 6 or 8 sheets.
- Spoon the apple filling across the lower third of the filo stack, leaving a 2-inch (5-cm) border along the bottom and sides. Roll the filo over once to begin creating a log, then fold in the sides. Continue to roll gently until you have a compact log, ending seam side down. Place the strudel seam side down on the prepared baking sheet, and brush the top with butter.
- To make the topping, combine the sugar, cinnamon, and almonds, if using, and sprinkle on the top of the strudel.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool before slicing with a serrated knife.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 232 | Fat: 9.6g | Saturates: 1.2g | Carbohydrates: 30g | Sugars: 20g | Protein: 4.8g | Salt: 0.24g
From The Joys of Vegan Baking, by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Text © 2007, 2017 Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. Used by permission from the publisher, Fair Winds Press, an imprint of Quarto Publishing Group. QuartoKnows.com