Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Do something different with your rice cereal and make these gorgeous crispy mocha bars topped with peanut butter drizzle
For the fudge
- 235ml (1 cup) coconut oil
- 100g (1 cup) unsweetened cocoa powder
- 380g (½ cup + 2 tbsp) maple syrup
- 75g (¼ cup) agave nectar
- 3 tsp coffee extract
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 25g (1 cup) crisp rice cereal
For the peanut butter drizzle
- 2 tbsp coconut oil
- 60g (¼ cup) peanut butter
- 4 tsp maple syrup
To make the fudge:
- Line an 8-inch square brownie pan with two pieces of parchment paper, one going each way.
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the coconut oil over low heat (in summer it may be liquid already and you can skip this step).
- Then whisk in the cocoa powder, maple syrup, agave, extracts, and salt. Once the mixture is smooth, remove the pan from the heat and stir in the crisp rice cereal.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, smooth out the top, and then freeze for 10 to 15 minutes, until the chocolate is solid.
To make the peanut butter drizzle:
- In a small saucepan, gently melt the coconut oil over low heat. Whisk in the peanut butter and maple syrup. Scoop the drizzle into a zip-top plastic bag and seal.
- Remove the fudge from the freezer. Lift the parchment paper up and out of the pan and transfer to a cutting board. Cut the fudge into 2-inch squares and place the bars on a plate.
- Snip a tiny hole in the corner of the plastic bag and drizzle the peanut butter mixture onto the bars (you can also try drizzling it with a spoon, if desired). Return the bars to the freezer until the peanut butter drizzle is solid, about 5 minutes. The bars will melt slightly at room temperature, so serve them straight from the freezer or fridge.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories 576, Fat 47g, Saturates 37g, Carbohydrates 29g, Sugars 18g, Protein 6.5g, Salt 0.24g
Reprinted from The Main Street Vegan Academy Cookbook BenBella Books, 2017)