Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Moving on to a plant based diet, but don’t want to miss out on your favourite meals? Try this recipe for a Full English Breakfast, complete with scrambled tofu!
For the grilled tomatoes:
- 250g (1¼ cups) ripe vine cherry tomatoes
- A splash of balsamic vinegar
For the baked beans:
- • 1 x 400g tin (2 cups) cannellini beans, drained
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 x 400g tin (2 cups) passata or sieved tomatoes
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp blackstrap molasses
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and crushed
- Pink Himalayan salt or sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
For the garlic mushrooms:
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 10 button mushrooms, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
For the tofu scramble:
- ½ 400g (7 oz) pack firm tofu
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- ½ tsp turmeric
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp nutritional yeast
- Toasted rye bread, to serve
- Mashed avocado (optional), to serve
- Preheat the grill to medium-high.
- Put the tofu on a chopping board, place another chopping board on top and place a heavy pan or plate on top to press the tofu down to remove excess water. Leave it while you make the beans and mushrooms.
- Meanwhile, start by making the beans. Simply add all the ingredients to a small saucepan with a pinch of salt and black pepper. Set over a medium-high heat and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, to make the mushrooms, heat the coconut oil in a small frying pan over a medium heat and fry the mushrooms for 5 minutes until lightly browned and cooked through, stirring
occasionally and adding the garlic about a minute before the end.
- Place the tomatoes (still on their vine) on a baking tray, sprinkle with sea salt and a little balsamic vinegar and grill for 5-10 minutes, until they start to brown.
- Once the tofu has been weighed down for 20 minutes, drain any liquid, pat the tofu dry with kitchen paper and cut into cubes.
- To make the scramble, heat the coconut oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Use your hands to crumble in the tofu, then add the remaining ingredients and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Season to taste and serve everything together with toasted rye bread and mashed avocado, if you like.
Recipes extracted from Eat Smart: What To Eat in a Day. Every Day by Niomi Smart (HarperCollins, £20)