Despite the current heatwave, thoughts are starting to turn to Christmas, as Tesco becomes the latest UK supermarket to announce its 2020 festive range. With Derek Sarno in place as the company’s Head of Plant-Based Innovation, it’s no surprise that vegan offerings are plentiful, with centrepieces, side dishes and sweet treats all making an appearance, along with a selection of party food.
On the plant-based dinner options, Sarno comments: “For all you rock stars who are eating less meat or are full on vegan, we are offering a complete plant-based holiday experience at Tesco this Christmas! We’ve got everything from amazing new centrepieces that will totally wow the family, through to plant-based versions of favourite trimmings including pigless blankets. And don’t forget the beautiful selection of desserts and sweet treats – no one has to miss out this Christmas.”
Amongst the range are three vegan centrepieces, a selection of sides, and puddings and desserts that include a vegan mince pie. Alongside this is a selection of party food that is suitable for anyone on a vegan diet. The full range includes:
- Wicked Kitchen Wellington – made with seasoned pea protein, flaky pastry, and onion and garlic sautéed porcini and chestnut mushroom duxelles.
- Wicked Kitchen No-Turkey Roast Crown – made with savoury soy and wheat protein topped with vegan coconut melt and a sage and onion stuffing crumb.
- Plant Chef Meat-Free Festive Vegan Roast – made with pea protein and caramelised red onions, served with a sweet Merlot red wine glaze.
- Wicked Kitchen Ginger Chai Cake – a ginger spiced chai tea-soaked cake, hand frosted, cinnamon-sugar dusted and topped with caramelised ginger pieces.
- Plant Chef Pigs in Blankets – Cumberland-style sausages packed with pea protein, roasted mushrooms and onions, hand-rolled in vegan pastry.
- Plant Chef No Mozarella Sticks – mozzarella-style vegan cheese sticks covered in a crispy breadcrumb coating.
- Plant Chef BBQ Jackfruit Bon Bons – pulled jackfruit in a crunchy seasoned crumb and smoky barbecue sauce.
- Wicked Kitchen No-Prawn Dippers – Golden and delicious ‘No-Prawn’ soybean, seasoned with kicks of spice and a smoky BBQ sauce.
About the party food range, Sarno said: “At Tesco, we’ve got it covered when it comes to offering your guests plenty of choice, as our extensive range allows you to mix in incredible plant-based party foods with traditional Christmas favourites. What’s more, our amazing new plant-based food are delicious enough for meat eaters too, so hosts can relax knowing that there are plenty of options for everyone to enjoy together.”
The party range will become available in September, with the dinner options arriving from November. Find out more at tesco.com