Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Put together a healthy, aromatic meal with this recipe for dairy-free tofu saag paneer, served with coriander leaves and lime wedges
For the ‘paneer’
- 1 block extra firm tofu, drained and pressed
- 1 Tsp turmeric
- 1 Tsp garam masala
- Sea salt and black pepper
For the sauce
- 100g (1/2 cup)spinach leaves, well washed
- ½ large onion, roughly chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 5cm (2 inch) piece of fresh ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
- Stalks from 1 bunch of fresh coriander
- Juice of half lemon
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 Tsp sugar
- ½ 400ml tin (1 cup) coconut milk
- Fresh coriander leaves
- Lime wedges
- Cut the drained, pressed tofu into bite sized chunks and dust with the turmeric and Garam Masala. Add the tofu to a non stick frying pan with a splash of oil and cook, turning regularly, until golden at the edges. Remove from the pan and set aside to drain on kitchen paper.
- For the sauce, place all the ingredients into a high powered blender and mix until pureed.
- Pour the sauce into the frying pan and gently cook until fragrant and bubbling, stirring frequently.
- Return the tofu to the pan with the sauce, add the coconut milk and check the sauce for seasoning, adding more salt if necessary.
- Serve hot, garnished with coriander leaves and wedges of lime.
Nutrition (per 100g)
Calories: 92 | Fat: 6.2g | Saturates: 3.7g | Carbohydrates: 3.5g | Sugars: 2.2g | Protein: 4.8g | Salt: 0.16g