Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Get ready for Easter with our Tropical Hot Cross Buns
- 14g (2 tsp) dried yeast
- 500g (4 cups) strong white bread flour
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1 tsp ground mixed spice
- Large pinch sea salt flakes
- 50g (scant ¼ cup) non-dairy butter
- 200g (1 1/3 cups) dried, mixed tropical fruit
- 1 tbsp lime zest, grated
- 1 tbsp apricot jam mixed with 1 tbsp boiling water, to glaze
For the crosses:
- 30g (1/4 cup) plain flour
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- Combine the yeast and 1 tbsp of the sugar in a bowl with 125ml warm (but not boiling) water. Mix well and set aside to let the yeast activate and the mixture become foamy.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together the bread flour, salt and spices. Stir in the remaining sugar.
- Using your fingertips, rub the butter into the flour mix until well combined. Stir through the fruit and zest.
- Make a well in the centre and add the foamy yeast water, plus another 185ml warm water. Mix the water in with your hands until a rough dough is formed.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, dusting with flour as you work.
- Once the dough is smooth and elastic, return it to the bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Leave to rise in a warm place for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- Once risen, knock the air out of the dough and divine into 12. Roll each piece into a bun shape and place 1-2cms apart on a floured baking tray. Cover with oiled cling film and leave to rise for 20 minutes. Preheat oven to 180°C (Gas Mark 4, 350°F).
- Mix together the plain flour, sugar and a little water to make a paste. Place into a plastic sandwich bag or piping bag and snip off the very corner. Use this to carefully pipe crosses onto the tops of the buns. Transfer to the oven to bake for 20 minutes or until golden.
- Gently brush the tops with the apricot glaze to add shine. Serve immediately whilst still warm, or toast and spread with non-dairy butter. Store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.