Join the Plant Based Newsletter
We will keep you updated with the latest Plant Based news and interesting items
Milk and cookies with a twist! Liven up your baking with this recipe for chocolate, lemon and turmeric cookies with golden turmeric milk
Chocolate, Lemon and Turmeric Cookies
For the cookies
- 100g (1 heaped cup) gluten-free oats
- 100g (? cup) gluten-free rice flour
- 2 tsp turmeric powder
- 120g (1 ½ cups) coconut oil
- Zest 1 lemon
- 60ml (¼ cup) maple syrup
For the chocolate
- 30g (heaped ¼ cup) cacao butter
- 3 tbsp cacao powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 150°C (Gas Mark 2, 300°F) and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Next, pulse the gluten free oats in a food processor until they reach a flour-like consistency.
- Then, tip the oat flour into a bowl along with the turmeric and rice flour and mix thoroughly. Add the remaining cookie ingredients to the bowl and stir with a spatula until a soft dough is formed.
- Using your hands, break up the dough texture mixture and roll into small balls.
- Place onto the lined baking tray and press down slightly with your palm or the spatula to form a small cookie shape.
- Bake cookies for 20 minutes.
- Once cooked, leave them to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before moving them onto a cooling rack and leave to completely cool.
- To make the chocolate coating: melt the cacao butter in a bain-marie. (Bowl over a pan of simmering water).
- Remove the bowl from the heat before stirring in the cacao powder and maple syrup.
- Leave the chocolate to thicken for a few minutes, so it’s easier to coat the cookies.
- Next, cover a plate with cling film (this stops the chocolate sticking) then dip the bottom of the cookies in the chocolate before placing them on a plate.
- Drizzle the remaining chocolate over the cookies and put in fridge to allow chocolate to fully set. Share and enjoy!
For the Golden Turmeric Milk
For the turmeric paste
- 75g organic turmeric powder
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 4 tbsp organic raw virgin coconut oil
For the milk
- 235ml (1 cup) of coconut milk (or plant milk of your choice)
- 2 tsp turmeric paste
- ½ tsp of ground mixed spice/ cinnamon
- 1 tsp of maple syrup (or sweetener to taste)
- Firstly, make the turmeric paste: melt the coconut oil in a bain-marie (or bowl over a pan of just boiled water). Mix in the turmeric powder, and black pepper & keep stirring. Allow this to cool and set aside in a glass jar. This can be kept in the fridge and used again.
- To make the milk: add the plant milk, turmeric paste and spices in a pan. Heat gently over a low heat, add maple syrup to taste. Serve immediately.
To find more out more about Indigo Herbs, head over to their website – https://www.indigo-herbs.co.uk/